Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Just An Observation I Have

One thing I have noticed in the past week is how beloved Prince was by so many people. Even after his funeral/cremation has taken place, people are still talking about him. No doubt this is because he was an artist and a character, and not just merely because he was successful in his business.

But to that point, I find it interesting from a social perspective that African American entertainers like Prince, and other black figures as well, maintain such great reverence and respect from people on both sides of the color line, and from different socio-economic backgrounds. This is in contrast to racism that is still deeply prevalent in some niches in society, especially with those who awkwardly still believe that African Americans are still not somehow equal.

My question(s) that I would pose would be: Why does this dichotomy exist? How has this gap been created and still maintained? I think that it could have something to do with economics,and where people are in terms of wealth and stability. I also think that it could be explained simply by "tradition" and an engrained sense that one race is dominant, especially that which perhaps is still prevalent in some areas of the Deep South.

If anyone has any comments or ideas on this, I would be very interested in what you'd have to say. This is just something that I've never really thought about until now.

2 comments:

  1. As a patron of the arts (amateur musician/even more amateur writer) I can safely that the arts function as a language of their own. Everybody who can appreciate the arts can speak this language and therefore cross all boundaries of color, religion, creed, etc. If an artist or piece of art is truly beautiful and inspiring, it can withstand even the most horrible prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete