Monday, February 1, 2016

Shane Koyczan- "The Crickets Have Arthritis"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VrZE8MCnIA

Hey guys, this is a piece of spoken word poetry I first watched a long time ago. /i really enjoy this for a couple of reasons. First off, it is immensely powerful. The story Shane Koyczan tells slowly unfolds into something that tears at the heart strings and inspires awe. Second, his diction and use of imagery are masterful and flowing. For me, as someone who was never exposed to very much spoken, this certainly piqued my interest and gets me very excited to explore more n the world of poetry. For now, this can serve as entertainment or inspiration, because it is absolutely sublime.
-Brent 1/30/2016

3 comments:

  1. Also I apologize for the weird font, this was posted a few days ago in a place where I don't think everyone could see it. I cleared with Professor Marshall and moved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain what this has to do with the class content? How does this pertain to women's poetry or multi-cultural poetry or the intersection between the two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is relevant to the class' content because it just serves as an example of spoken word poetry. Like I said, I've never been exposed to spoken word, so I'm using this piece as a frame of reference with which I can examine multicultural poetry. Right now, I see this poetry in a cultural realm that is very close to my own culture, so as we move into new concepts and poetry, I have something very basic to compare it to. As we as a class are moving into multicultural ideas, I can see just how diverse my poetic interests have become based on this first piece I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete