Monday, February 8, 2016

A Woman Speaks

On Tuesday last week, there was a bit of a heated discussion on Audre Lorde's poem, "A woman Speaks." Particularly on the last stanza that read:

I have been woman
for a long time
beware my smile
I am treacherous with old magic
and the noon's new fury
with all your wide futures
promised
I am
woman
and not white.

I am not quite sure what everyones argument was because there were so many, but I decided to pitch my two cents. I believe that her poem is about woman wanting more. She is writing this as a woman looking for equal opportunities in life, not as an African-American seeking rights. First of all, the poems title is "A Woman Speaks," blatantly implying that a woman is writing the poem. On the last few lines, Lorde says "I am, woman, and not white." She is implying that her gender is as big of, if not a bigger issue than the color of her skin. She has been demoralized in her life by her skin-color, but in this poem, she is fed up with the way she is treated because she is a woman, not because she is black. This type of poetry is how Lorde captured the attention of white audiences by directing this poem at a group of people (woman) that include whites.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this reading of the last stanza as well,her referring to her gender as equally important to her race is a major key here. Especially knowing how Audre Lorde identifies herself sexually. I also believe that by stating she is woman at the end of her poem, she is speaking on behalf of her sexual preference and the importance of equality for women.

    ReplyDelete