Sunday, May 1, 2016

Back at it Again With English 310

Just like Riley, I am a member of Rosenberg's class, My Three Novels and a Film. Since I have already introduced you guys to my topic of our English 360 final with my oral presentations, I wanted to express my idea for my English 310 final. In the film The Godfather part I&II and novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, two of the main characters, Michael Corleone (Godfather) and Sammy Klayman (Kavalier & Clay) ended up alone at the conclusion of these works. I will be analyzing the similarities like being exposed on national television and differences like killing as opposed to abandoning your family and how being an unjust man/father make an individual end up alone in life.
To relate this topic to our class, I believe that Michael and Sammy have done the opposite in life compared to what the poets that we have studied have done. These two have gone through life lying and in denial, hoping for something that isn't there. The poets from this class have gone through their own individual struggle whether its ethnicity, cultural, or home issues. As a result, in my opinion, their lives have been fairly rewarding. They are established writers in society. I understand that I am comparing characters to real life people, but maybe there is something to be seen here. Men, like Michael and Sammy, are ones who typically take leadership roles. The causes of their actions include people, including family to be most effected. This leads to the suggestion that men under pressure making harsh and irrational decisions. The woman in our poems have kind of taken a back seat, non-leadership role (perhaps influence/inequality of society), letting things around them develop as opposed to trying to make them happen. I do not really know what to make of these findings, whether woman are better decision makers than men, being a follower is better than being a leader, or if I can even compare characters to humans. But anyways, there is the comparison .


2 comments:

  1. I like this topic and the viewpoint you are coming from for your final paper in Rosenberg's class and i think you will spark Rosenberg's interest with this topic as well. I think Rosenberg definitely digs this masculinity topic, and it was ever-so apparent in The Godfather, Kavalier & Clay, and every piece we read. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna push back on this just slightly (I think your overall idea is very interesting). Some of these women DO take strong leadership roles serving as community organizers and activists. I would urge you to modify your thesis slightly while considering this.

    ReplyDelete